Welcome

I have several interests to share through this blog including my love of needlework, quilting, cooking, and my pets, Molly and Butterscotch. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with adding to most of these areas over time. I hope you enjoy it.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Merry Cox and Oval Shaker Box

You Never Know What You Might Find in Your Stash


The other day I was doing a little research on eBay for antique samplers.  Their search engine pulled up old copies of Sampler and Antique Needlework Magazines.  One in particular caught my eye.   It was Volume 14 and included a beautiful piece from Merry Cox called "Abide Thy Heart".  Well, I fell in love.  It incorporates one of my favorite stitches - Queen Stitches, and is set into an oval shaler box - another one of my favorite pieces.  So, I checked my back isues and low and behold, I had Volume 14, plus Volume 15 which has the second part of the pattern. 


I then did some online research to find a maple oval Shaker box as pictured in the photo.  I found an excellent source at Orleans Carpenters (www.shakerboxes.com).  They have specialized in Oval Shaker Boxes since the 1970's.  I placed an order immediately for a #3 Birds Eye Maple box that perfectly fit the dimensions that Merry specifies. 



I emailed the Dixons and requested a box with a lot of birds eye detailing.  A few days later, this is what I received.  





The box has a beautiful sheen and a soft sily feel from the wax finish that they apply to the box. 

The great thing is that after I received it, I realized that this was the same source that Jackie DuPlesis used for the carrier that was used for Lady Jane's Garden (pictured in a previous post).  The bad news is, I learned from my correspondence with Beth Dixon, that they will be retiring from box making in August to pursue making parlor guitars.  They are hoping to be able to pass the box making business along to a colleague.  I need to make sure that I order anything that I might want from them before they retire. 

That's all for now.  Happy stitching!
Sue 



2 comments:

  1. How blessed to be able to get that lovely shaker box. With the exchange rate those are out of my price range.:( I have both magazines but yet to stitch this up. Once done I may use a paper mash`e box as part of my finishing. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How blessed to be able to get that lovely shaker box. With the exchange rate those are out of my price range.:( I have both magazines but yet to stitch this up. Once done I may use a paper mash`e box as part of my finishing. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete