Welcome

I have several interests to share through this blog including my love of needlework, quilting, cooking, and my pets, Molly and Butterscotch. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with adding to most of these areas over time. I hope you enjoy it.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Framing and New Finishes

Well, I took a couple of pieces in to be framed today.  I am way behind on framing, so I figured that now was as good a time as any to frame 2 Just Nan pieces that I compled 11 years ago.  She designed a pair of samplers in celebration of the millenium - Last Stitches of 1999 and First Stitches of 2000.  I am anxious to see how the twins come out.  I will post photos once I retrieve them from the framer in early March.

As far as new finishes, I have posted pictures of the "Heart in Bloom" sewing tray from Blackbird designs...well, I have it all framed and the pinkeep to go with it.  I did the framing myself and even drilled the holes to place the handles. 


Here is a close-up of the pinkeep.  Note the pins in the upper left hand corner.  Those were made in class as the retreat as a make it and take it project.  VERY easy to do and males a nice statement on the antique looking pinkeep.  BTW - I used crushed walnut shells (aka bird litter) as the filling.  As instructed by Barb and Alma, you make sure to apply a fusable inner lining to the linen and backing fabric.  It has a very nice feell and weight to it.  It is trimmed with chenille that Barb and Alma hand died.  It has a very soft feel to it and finishes it off nicely. 


While at the Shepherd's Bush retreat, I fell in love with the pins that are made by Just Another Button Company (JABCO).  So much so, that I went to their website and had my friend Vicki from Persnickety Stitchers place an order for the "Strawberry Pin Cushion Kit".  It comes complete with pattern, wool, overdyed floss, wool roving and 5 coordinating pins.  I fell in love with the technique and plan to make more!


And finally, I found this pincushion kit from Shepherd's Bush that has coordinating fabrics from Blackbird Designs and a sweet rose JABCO pin.  Well I had to have it and it was a very quick stitch.  I just love how it turned out with the rick rack trim.  It is also filled with the crushed walnut shells.


 Well, that's all for not.  I have several that I have taken of several Shepherd's Bush shop exclusive designs that I plan to get framed this spring or early summer.  I will post those when I get a little more free time.

~ Sue

2 comments: